Since 1964, more than 50,000 teenagers have visited Washington, DC, for one week every summer as part of the Electric Cooperative Youth Tour. The National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) coordinates the tour, and more than 1,500 teens participate every summer.
In 2016, CoServ Electric will award three North Texas high school students an all-expenses-paid tour departing from Austin to Washington, DC, to watch our government in action. The winners will join more than 100 other youth from Texas electric cooperative homes June 8–17 to experience two Capitols.
Additionally, after completing their freshman year of college, Youth Tour winners are eligible to apply for a $10,000 NRECA scholarship. (Click here for details.)
Eligible Youth Tour applicants must have completed his/her sophomore, junior or senior year of high school by 2016, their permanent residence must have an active CoServ Electric account, and their parents or guardians must be served by CoServ Electric.
The Austin tour includes a visit to the Bullock Texas State History Museum and State Capitol. The DC planned experience includes:
- A visit to the office of the students' congressional representative on Capitol Hill
- Discussions with legislators about current events
- Tours of:
- The Smithsonian Institution
- Washington National Cathedral
- Mount Vernon, home of George Washington
- Arlington National Cemetery
- A wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns
Students also will:
- Learn what makes cooperatives unique
- Learn how cooperatives from all industries impact our daily lives
- Gain a greater understanding of what America stands for
CLICK HERE to download the application form for the 2016 Electric Cooperative Youth Tour. All applications must be printed, signed with original signatures, and mailed with all required documentation postmarked no later than January 15, 2016, or delivered to CoServ Electric by 5 p.m. that day.
Visit the Youth Tour website for more information about the tour and/or contact program coordinator Jennifer Ebert.
In addition to the Electric Cooperative Youth Tour, CoServ Electric also awards thousands of dollars through our W. Tip Hall Jr. Scholarship Program to graduating seniors from CoServ Member households. More details about CoServ’s Academic Initiatives here.