What To Do in an Emergency

Electrical shock from appliance

Situation: Someone receives a shock from an appliance like a toaster or a power drill.

What to do:

  • Don’t touch the person, because you could get shocked or injured too. 
  • Unplug the appliance, or turn off the power at the main switch box.
  • Call 911.
  • Keep the person warm and lying down until help arrives.

Electrical shock from power line

Situation: Someone receives a shock from touching a fallen power line.

What to do:

  • Don’t move the power line or touch the person, because you could get shocked or injured too.
  • Call 911 and CoServ right away. You can reach us at (844) 330-0762.

Electrical fire

Situation: A hot light bulb gets too close to something flammable and sets it on fire. Or, insulation on an overloaded cord melts, which exposes live wires that spark a fire.

What to do:

  • Never put water on an electrical fire, as it could make it worse.
  • Leave the area, and call 911 or the fire department immediately
  • In the future, make sure you keep a chemical fire extinguisher on each floor of your home. Also, plan an emergency escape route and discuss it with your family. Confirm that everyone knows where to meet, then practice “fire drills” regularly.
  • Note: Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) are less likely to start fires, because they produce 75 percent less heat. An added bonus: CFLs last up to 10 times longer, and you could save $30 or more in electricity costs over each bulb’s lifetime.

Gas leak

Situation: You smell an unpleasant odor similar to rotten eggs. (Natural gas is odorless and colorless, so this smell is added during processing for your safety.)

What to do:

  • Leave the area immediately.
  • Do not attempt to turn off the gas supply.
  • Do not turn lights on or off, light a cigarette, use a cell phone, start your car’s engine, use a garage door opener or do anything else that could create a spark.
  • Do not attempt to put out a fire fueled by natural gas. Call 911 instead.
  • From a safe distance, call 911 and report the situation to CoServ Gas at our 24-hour emergency number, (844) 330-0763.

When it comes to gas leaks, don't take any chances. Call us immediately. We respond to all leaks right away.