CoServ is ready for winter. Are you? We can help
Winter is here and with it comes colder temperatures, increased electricity demand, snow and ice. CoServ wants Electric Members and Gas Customers to know that our infrastructure, our fleet and our Employees are ready for whatever this winter brings. As your trusted energy advisor, we also want to make sure your homes and businesses are prepared for freezing temperatures and precipitation.
How CoServ prepares:
Inspections: One of the main causes of outages during a winter storm occurs when ice accumulates on power lines, weighing them down and causing them to sag or fall. CoServ crews inspect our infrastructure to make sure lines have the proper tension and the guy wires, anchors and supports are all adequate.
Vegetation Management: Tree limbs can also be weighed down during an ice storm and, if they fall, they could hit the power lines, another common cause of power outages. Drive around CoServ’s expansive service area and you’ll see trees are routinely trimmed near our lines. CoServ’s Vegetation Management Department oversees several tree trimming crews who maintain tree limbs near power lines, a proactive step that prevents service disruptions.
Ready for the winter: CoServ Operations crews are on call 24 hours a day and are ready to respond in the worst possible conditions. But it’s also important for our crews to be safe so they can return home to their families after the job is done. CoServ equips our crews with warm-weather gear, personal protective equipment, materials and tools to get the job done. That includes a reliable, well-maintained fleet that can handle snow, ice and freezing temperatures.
What can you do to prepare for winter?
CoServ has assembled a list of tips that can help you save energy year-round, during the winter and in the summer.
- Sealing cracks around windows and doors
- Maintaining your HVAC
- Reverse ceiling fan direction
- Using curtains and blinds to your advantage
What if your power goes out?
- Check to see if your neighbors lost power
- Check your electrical panel to make sure a breaker didn’t trip
- Report the outage online through SmartHub or by calling 940-321-7800
- Sign up for email or text alerts for status updates through SmartHub
What if you smell natural gas?
- Leave the area immediately. Avoid using electronics or turning on lights – anything that could spark the gas.
- Once you’re a safe distance away, call 911 and then call the CoServ Gas emergency line 844-330-0763.
What if I get a high bill and I suspect my house is losing energy or not as efficient as it could be?
CoServ offers free energy assessments for Members in-person and over the phone. Click here to learn more or to schedule an appointment!
Look for more information by following CoServ’s Winter Savings Series here.