Watch out for scammers this holiday season
THE HOLIDAYS are a great time to make memories with family and friends but it’s also a time of year when people break from the normal routine.
As you clean the house, take vacations, go to parties and entertain, you might not remember if you paid your utility bill on time.
Scammers are counting on these distractions and use that to their advantage during the holiday season.
Luckily, CoServ Members and Customers can fight back by checking their account on SmartHub or calling the real CoServ Customer Care number at 940-321-7800.
“Unfortunately, there are scammers who try to impersonate CoServ and take advantage of people during the busy holiday season,” said Brianna McBride, CoServ’s Training and Process Improvement Supervisor. “Watch out for the red flags that indicate that this could be a scam and quickly verify their claims either by calling a real Customer Care Specialist or looking up your account.”
If someone calls, emails or texts with a threat to disconnect utilities or add extra charges to your bill, it’s important to never act impulsively – slow down and remember what CoServ WILL do and what CoServ will NEVER do when your account is past due.
COSERV WILL NEVER
- Call about a past-due balance one hour before disconnection.
- Request that a past-due balance be paid via pre-paid gift card or mobile payment apps like Zelle, Cash App, Venmo, etc.
- Demand payment for equipment such as a meter
COSERV WILL DO THIS
- A disconnection notice will be mailed out 3 days after the due date, which gives another 10 days to pay before service could be disconnected.
- CoServ will send notifications and emails through SmartHub about past-due balances and pending disconnections.