Since 1964, more than 50,000 high school students have visited Washington, DC, for one week every summer as part of the Electric Cooperative Youth Tour. The National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) coordinates the tour, and more than 1,500 teens participate every summer.
For 2017, CoServ Electric has awarded seven North Texas high school juniors an all-expenses-paid tour departing from Austin to Washington, DC, to watch our government in action. The winners will join more than 100 other youth from Texas electric cooperative homes June 7–16 to experience two Capitols. (See agenda pages 6-8 (PDF) and eligibility requirements.)
Congratulations, to the 2017 Youth Leadership Tour winners!
- Abhi Asokkumar, Independence High School, Frisco
- Nina Habib, The Colony High School, The Colony
- Gwyneth James, Marcus High School, Flower Mound
- Lauryn Jones, Braswell High School, Savannah
- Ambika Kapil, Texas Academy of Math and Science, Lewisville
- Sara Martin, Argyle High School, Argyle
- Jaden Sawyers, Prosper High School, Prosper
After completing their freshman year of college, Youth Tour winners are eligible to apply for a $10,000 NRECA scholarship. (Click here for details.)
The Texas delegation of the 2016 Electric Cooperative Youth Tour in front of the White House.
The Austin tour includes a visit to the Bullock Texas State History Museum and State Capitol. The DC planned experience includes:
- A visit to the office of the students' congressional representative on Capitol Hill
- Discussions with legislators about current events
- Tours of:
- The Smithsonian Institution
- Washington National Cathedral
- Mount Vernon, home of George Washington
- Arlington National Cemetery
- A wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Students also will:
- Learn what makes cooperatives unique
- Learn how cooperatives from all industries impact our daily lives
- Gain a greater understanding of what America stands for
Visit the Youth Tour website for more information about the tour and/or contact CoServ's program coordinator email@example.com.
ELIGIBILITY OF APPLICANTS
- The student must have completed his/her junior year of high school by June.
- The student’s permanent residence must have an active CoServ Electric or CoServ Gas account.
- The student’s parent or guardian is a CoServ Member or Customer in good standing.
- Online application must be completed and submitted, including RETURNED REFERENCES, no later than
5 p.m. January 16, 2017. Please plan your submission to allow time for references to respond.
Winners are expected to attend two meetings at CoServ corporate offices (once before and once after their trip) -- from 2-4 p.m. May 24 and 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. June 22.
Scholarship winners will be highlighted in a CoServ news article that will be published online and shared with area news media. Winners must submit a recent photo of themselves (class photo preferred) and may also be asked to have their photos taken at CoServ.
2018 YOUTH TOUR
The application process for the NRECA Electric Cooperative Youth Tour opens each fall. Check back in the fall to apply for next year's tour!
In addition to the Youth Leadership Tour, CoServ also awards thousands of dollars through the CoServ scholarship program to graduating seniors from CoServ Electric or Gas households. More details about CoServ’s Academic Initiatives here.