Applications due by 5 p.m., Monday, January 8, 2018.
Since 1964, more than 50,000 high school students have visited Washington, DC, for one week every summer as part of the Electric Cooperative Youth Leadership Tour. Through Texas Electric Cooperatives (TEC), in conjunction with National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA), coordinates the tour, and more than 1,500 students participate every summer. Texas participants have the added benefit of visiting Austin for two days to learn about our state government.
For 2018, CoServ will award seven North Texas high school juniors an all-expenses-paid tour departing from Austin to Washington, DC, to watch our government in action. The winners join more than 100 other youth from Texas electric cooperative homes June 6–15, 2018 to experience two Capitols. (Sample agenda (pages 6-8) and eligibility requirements.)
After completing their freshman year of college, Youth Tour winners are eligible to apply for a $10,000 NRECA scholarship. (Click here for details.)
The Texas delegation of the 2017 Electric Cooperative Youth Tour in front of the White House.
The Austin tour includes a visit to the Bullock Texas State History Museum and State Capitol. The DC planned experience includes:
- A visit to the office of the students' congressional representative on Capitol Hill
- Discussions with legislators about current events
- The Smithsonian Institution
- Washington National Cathedral
- Mount Vernon, home of George Washington
- Arlington National Cemetery
- A wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Students also will:
- Learn what makes cooperatives unique
- Learn how cooperatives from all industries impact our daily lives
- Gain a greater understanding of what America stands for
For more information about the tour, please contact CoServ's program coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELIGIBILITY OF APPLICANTS
- The student must have completed his/her junior year of high school by June.
- The student’s permanent residence must have an active CoServ Electric or CoServ Gas account.
- The student’s parent or guardian is a CoServ Member or Customer in good standing.
- Online application must be completed and submitted, including RETURNED REFERENCES, no later than
5 p.m. January 8, 2018. Please plan your submission to allow time for references to respond.
Winners are required to meet with CoServ leaders BOTH before and after the trip: Orientation Session from 2–4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 23, 2018; and a Follow-up Session with CoServ Board of Directors from 11 a.m.–1 p.m. on Thursday, June 28, 2018*. (*Date for session with Board of Directors is subject to change.)
Images and names of Youth Leadership Tour winners may be featured on CoServ's website, social media channels, in the CoServ pages of Texas Co-op Power magazine and shared with area news media. Winners must submit a recent photo of themselves (class photo preferred) and may also be asked to have their photos taken at CoServ.
OTHER ACADEMIC INITIATIVES In addition to the Youth Leadership Tour, CoServ also awards thousands of dollars through the CoServ scholarship program to graduating seniors from CoServ Electric or Gas households. For more information about this and other educational programs, please visit our Academic Initiatives page.